I have about 10 months to prepare, so I thought I’d divide up that time into macro-training blocks and set some goals.
I’ve been looking at some training plans you can buy online, and they mostly are 20 - 23 weeks in length. So if I back-up from the race that puts me in March to be ready for an official training plan.
Now - December 31:
1) Heal my achilles tendon
2) Focus on swimming - drills & basic body position
3) Bike & run only if my ankle allows me
4) Lose weight - since I can’t do major training, this is a good time to do it
5) P90X for strength
January - March
1) Build base endurance & focus on increasing time working out, not necessarilly distance
2) Set some goals that will get me to where I need to be for my training plan starting in April. ie: swim 45/60 mins, bike 1 1/2 hours, run 1 hour. Not sure how realistic that will be for three months. Swim & bike will probably be ok, but the run will depend on my ankle.
April - August
1) Follow a specific training plan
No more time wasting, my plan starts today!